Hue has a wide variety of unique and flavorful dishes and one of them is the Hue Fig Salad. We have written this easy to follow Hue Fig Salad Recipe.
Fig trees are found almost everywhere in Hue, even in pagodas and backyard gardens. There is no surprise that this gastronomy city takes advantage of its resources. The best thing about them is that they actually have stronger taste than the ones from other parts of Vietnam.
Hue Fig Salad or locally known as Va Tron Hue is commonly being served in local restaurants in the city. It is also easily be changed to vegetarian dish as meat is only replaced with tofu. You can check out this simple Hue Fig Salad recipe you can try at home.
5 fresh figs
150 grams of pork
100 grams of shrimp (peeled)
- Boil the fresh figs. Boiling them would lessen the strong smell and taste of the figs. Once boiled, set aside to cool down.
- While waiting for the figs to cool down, you may start preparing and mincing the garlic, onion and cilantro.
- Once the figs are cooled down, slice them into thin layers and squeeze the water dry. You can do this easily by putting the sliced figs in a piece of clean cloth. Shred the figs after extracting all the water from them.
- In a medium sized pan, heat small amount of oil and put onion and garlic.
- Add the meat. Continuously stir until meat turns light brown. Take out excess oil.
- Put peeled shrimps, wait until half cooked and add the shredded fig and cilantro in.
- Add all the seasonings and sprinkle with sesame seeds and crushed peanuts.
- Mix well. Serve hot with rice crackers.
Hue Cooking Class includes learning how to make this easy Hue Fig Salad. Book your Hue Cooking Class Tour with us now and bring the Taste of Hue home.